We had two extra viewers this morning…All the way from Roscoe MT, please welcome Bob and Susan Murphy. That’s Uncle Bob to you all…
Bob and Susan are on their way to Chicago and stopped by last night. It was really nice to see both. They were very patient as I dragged them around Des Moines and bragged on our city. We went out to dinner at Fire Creek in WDSM…I’ll get to that in a minute.
First, a very busy day in the News.
It’s always a challenge when we’re down one person to handle information that comes in during the show. Jon Cahill and Roger Riley got down to Norwalk quickly for us to cover a shooting that happened about 5 this morning. The behind the scenes of this is that Roger already had the live truck at another location ready for Jon to show up. It takes a lot to get all of that picked up and moved quickly. they do the best they can for us and we appreciate it.
More on the Norwalk Shooting
When we heard about the shooting on the police scanner this morning right before the show started we all wondered if it was a suicide. Come to find out it was not. This is what we know so far — Steve Onnen was shot in the shoulder and police say his wife did it. Sadly, his three children were inside the house when it happened and one of them called 911. This morning the Norwalk Police Chief said he didn’t think Onnen’s injuries were life threatening.
This is how it’s supposed to work. An amber alert was issued in Red Oak for a baby boy taken by his biological father , within an hour they had the baby back safe.
Ahmadinijhad in NY
The president of Iran is speaking at the UN today. So is President Bush. The thing you’ll want to Google is Ahmedinejhad’s
speech at Columbia University. First, the President of the University smacked
him down pretty good when he introduced the guy….then he talked about all of the controversial topics, 9/11…The Holocaust, terrorism…and the most comical moment came when he commented that there were no gay people in Iran. This was the point of the exercise. If you let this guy speak…he’s going to do more than anyone else in ruining any credibility
he’s got. The thing about crazy…you know it when you hear it.
Huckabee Online Marathon
The former Gov of Arkansas is answering questions online for 24 hours straight.
You can link in through our Caucus website http://www.iowavotes2008.com/
. This is the way technology is effecting the political debate. It can bring the entire country in contact with a candidate if he/she wants to.
How much would you pay?
We did a story about someone paying 47-thousand dollars for a non speaking role on Will Ferrell’s Next movie. What would you pay for a non-speaking
guest role on Today in Iowa?
Medium Rare Plus
We went out to Fire Creek for dinner last night and for the third time in a row I had someone t
ell me they’d never heard anyone order a steak the way I did. I don’t think it’s unique, but I was surprised no one had heard of it. Jeriann
echoed that this morning so I decided to ask you all. Have you ever hear of medium rare plus? I don’t like to order a steak medium rare because so few places really do it well. if you add the plus you tell the chef you want it on the medium side of medium rare. Jeriann
asked…Isn’t that just Medium? No…I think it’s a more specific order for the kitchen. Medium Rare Plus.
Wikipedia has this temperature guide:
- Raw – Uncooked. Used in dishes like steak tartare. Steak is rarely eaten at this stage. However, it is gaining popularity with raw foodists.
- Blue rare or very rare – Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and not warm and definitely not cooked. The steak will be red on the inside.
- Rare – The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.
- Rare plus – The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is mostly red and warm, with some pink. Often ordered by those that prefer medium rare and don’t mind rare but worry about overcooking towards medium.
- Medium rare – The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.
- Medium – The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.
- Medium well – The meat is light pink with gray-brown surrounding the center.
- Well done – The meat is gray-brown throughout and slightly blackened or charred. Well done steaks are sometimes preferred for children and the elderly, as they are more susceptible to food-borne illness.
Now that that’s out of the way…I’m going to go take Bob and Susan to Breakfast at the Drake Diner. What’s your favorite Breakfast spot. I think this is a big moneymaker for someone. Some of the breakfast spots we have are too smokey and there are a lot of chains, but not a lot of Mom and Pop type places. Maybe when I retire…I could keep the same hours.
Have a good day,