CAMP FIRE: The Des Moines Fire Department battled a fire that damaged a homeless camp
The Des Moines Fire Department put out a fire at a homeless camp Wednesday morning.
The fire happened in a wooded area near the American Red Cross of Central Iowa building. Fire officials say a homeless man told them he put out the candles at his camp before he went to the shelter to take a shower. When he returned his camp was on fire.
Concerns over propane tanks at the camp caused officials to close the railroad tracks along the Raccoon River, just west of the MLK bridge.
The fire department is still looking into the cause of the fire and the damage it has done.