HY-VEE FIRE: Windsor Heights Store
Officials evacuated a metro Hy-Vee Tuesday after a fire broke out in the back of the store.
Firefighters arrived at the Windsor Heights store on University Avenue around 11:30 a.m. Crews saw smoke billowing from the roof on the back side of the building.
Officials say the fire started in the storage area near a mechanical room. Three sprinklers activated keeping the fire in check until the fire department could get a water line to the fire.
“The building is very well protected. It’s got great sprinkler system and great alarm system, it alerted occupants right away. And we had great evacuation going on in front of the store when I drove by to get back to the area of the fire,” says Christopher Cross, with the Windsor Heights Fire Department.
Authorities are still investigating, but they believe the fire was electrical in nature.
No one was hurt.
All employees were sent home for the day and the store is locked up for the evening.