NO PHONES: Iowa DOT Challenges Iowans
This Weekend, DOT officials are asking you to take part in the “No Phone Challenge.”
The Iowa Department of Transportation is asking Iowans to put their phones out of reaching or turn them off while driving. The DOT asks you to give it a try for a week.
All mobile users are encouraged to take the seven-day challenge, and then post their results on Facebook at www.facebook.com/iowadot.
The Iowa DOT wants to know:
- How hard was it to take that first step and put your phone out of arm’s reach?
- Are you a phone junkie? Did you even make it through the first trip without reaching for your phone? (According to a national survey by TeleNav Inc., 22 percent of people said they would rather give up their toothbrush for a week than their cell phone.)
- Was it easier to concentrate on driving? Were you more aware of your surroundings?
- If you completed the challenge, did not using your phone get easier with time?
- Did your driving actually improve?
- Are you willing to eliminate this distraction permanently?