By John Sears
- Lance Armstrong is giving up his fight against the US Anti-Doping Agency. He is essentially throwing in the towel because he knows he can’t win. Armstrong is banned for life from the sport and stripped of his 7 Tour De France titles. I can’t say I’m shocked. Are you? As American’s we were all holding out hope that Armstrong, who beat cancer and was an inspiration to so many, would prove clean. But, of course not. Lance cheated, just like a lot of cyclists. He still professes his innocence. I don’t believe him.
- The Iowa Cubs are 31 games under .500. It’s not a banner season. But believe it or not they aren’t the worst team in their division, that title belongs to Memphis.
- Urbandale Junior WR Allen Lazard is every bit of 6’5“. I know, I interviewed him today and I’m 6’3“. He has scholarship offers from Iowa, ISU, and Nebraska. More will come.
- Des Moines East High School will have their OWN jersey’s Friday night in their first football game against Ames. Great work by Tag Team Uniforms, in conjunction with Hopkins Sporting Goods in getting a full set of uniforms ready in 3 weeks, it usually takes 6. The last thing these kids wanted to do is wear the ‘home’ Ames jerseys. They won’t.
- UNI names Sawyer Kollmorgen their starting QB. Throw that in to the bag of great names. Talk about being thrown to the wolves. First collegiate start, at Wisconsin. 3rd collegiate start, at Iowa, assuming he survives Madison..
- Speaking of college football can it please get here already? I’ve seen more pre-season polls and ‘All-________ teams’ its ridiculous. T-minus 8 days until the sports world is back to the best time of the year.
- LL Cool J beat up a burglar trying to rob his home at 1am. The robber suffered a broken nose and jaw. No scratches on LL. “Mama Said Knock You Out!” He wasn’t kidding.