The Iowa Department of Transportation says travel across the state is not advised through Thursday.
Wednesday the DOT said road conditions would be dangerous for travel through noon Thursday, but have now extended that warning until midnight.
Heavy snow totals of up to 14 inches are predicted in some areas and the DOT warns that the snow coupled with high winds can cause unsafe driving conditions. Wind speeds of up to 50 miles per hour cause snow to drift and can create white-out situations.
The DOT says if you must drive, make sure you have winter survival supplies and a fully charged cell phone. If you become stranded call 911 and stay with your vehicle.
If you get stranded you’ll likely be without your vehicle for a little while because of a tow ban. Click here to find out if your county has a tow ban in effect.
You can check statewide road conditions here.
Below you can find the counties the DOT is advising people DO NOT travel in:
- DOT District 1 (Central Iowa) – Webster, Hamilton, Hardin, Grundy, Green, Boone, Story, Marshall, Tama, Polk, Jasper and Poweshiek counties
- DOT District 2 (Northern Iowa) – Kossuth, Winnebago, Worth, Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Floyd, Chickasaw, Fayette, Clayton, Humboldt, Wright, Franklin, Butler, Bremer, and Black Hawk counties
- DOT District 3 (Northwest Iowa) – Monona, Crawford, Carroll, Calhoun, Sac, and Ida Counties. (Note: Sac, Ida and Monona Counties are expected to be near winter normal by shortly after noon today and visibility is above 1/2 mile in those counties already.)
- DOT District 4 (Southwest Iowa) – Harrison, Shelby, Audubon, Guthrie, Dallas, Pottawattamie, Cass, Adair, Madison, Mills, Montgomery, Adams, Union, Fremont, Page, Taylor and Ringgold counties
- DOT District 5 (Southeast Iowa) – Warren, Marion, Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Muscatine, Louisa, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Decatur, Wayne, Appanoose, Davis, Van Buren, and Lee counties
- DOT District 6 (Eastern Iowa)– Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Benton, Linn, Jones, Jackson, Iowa, Johnson, Cedar, Clinton and Scott counties