HOUSE FIRE: Owner Absent As Stove Fire Spreads

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Ed Perryman has lived at 1516 Southeast Creston Street in Des Moines for fifty years.

After a fire left heavy smoke damage, charred the interior, and blew out windows, his next night at home is anyone's guess.

"There's approximately $30,000 dollars worth of damage," said Captain Steve Brown from the Des Moines Fire Department.

A neighbor doing yard work called 9-1-1 shortly after 9 AM Sunday.

Smoke was pouring out of the back of the house, and Perryman says he knew why before he, or fire fighters arrived.

"I had a wood stove burning and I probably made a mistake somewhere," said Perryman.

Fire fighters were on the scene in minutes and were able to control the flames before they spread to the garage, vehicles, or other homes.

The closest neighbors were less than twenty feet away.

“The fire was contained in the first ten minutes," said Brown.

Perryman's mistake likely cost him his home.

Thankfully, that's it.

"No one is hurt, that's the main thing," Perryman told Channel 13 News.

Captain Steven Brown says he sees fires like these too often and hopes people learn to not leave any appliances on if they plan to leave their home.

"If you're going to start a wood burner or fire place, be home when those fires are going and monitor your use of the fire place or your wood burner," said Brown.

In the meantime, the life-long Des Moines resident plans to live with friends.

He hopes to get inside his home soon and figure out what, if anything can be salvaged.