HOUSE FIRE: Dirty Chimney Warning
A metro family is out of their home Saturday night following a fire.
Just before 9 p.m., Des Moines fire crews were called to a home in the 3800 block of Southwest 29th Street.
When crews arrived everyone inside had already made it out safely.
Investigators believe the fire started in the chimney pipe and spread to the walls and eventually the attic.
Fire fighters say this is an important safety reminder for homeowners, “Make sure to keep your chimney pipe clean,” warns Joe Giudicessi. “I don’t know, this family may have had their chimney pipe cleaned. Sometimes pipes fail.”
Officials estimate the damage at 15-20 thousand dollars.