SPRING BREAK: Police Offer Safety Tips
With spring break just a day away, the West Des Moines Police Department urges students and families to take precautions before going on trips.
Let someone you trust know where you are going, how to contact you, and when you’ll return. WDMPD says families should make their homes look “lived in” by:
- Having a trusted friend or neighbor pick up mail and deliveries, mow your lawn or scoop snow, and park their car in your driveway.
- Using timers to turn lights and a radio on and off at different times during the day.
- Locking the house access door to your attached garage, if you have one.
While on the trip, you should be cautious, as well. The WDMPD recommends the following travel tips:
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Always wear your seatbelt, and drive with your doors locked and windows rolled up.
- Always keep an emergency kit in your vehicle.
- Never carry large amounts of cash.
- Never leave money, checks, credit cards or car keys in your hotel room.
- Always ask hotel staff about dangerous areas you want to avoid when site seeing.
For more travel safety tips and information, you can contact the West Des Moines Police Department.