CARROT CAKE: Better Homes And Gardens
Senior Food Editor from Better Homes and Gardens, Maggie Meyer whips up a delicious mango-carrot cake using fruit juice to substitute some butter and an egg.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups refrigerated mango juice blend (such as Odwalla Mango Tango or Naked Juice Mighty Mango)
- 3 cups finely shredded carrot
- Carrot ribbons
- 1 Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8×1 1/2-inch round cake pan; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar; beat until combined. Beat 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and 3/4 cup of the mango juice; beat on low after each addition just until combined. Stir in shredded carrot. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Place remaining 1/2 cup mango juice blend in a small saucepan; bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; cool. Frost top of one cake layer with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost as desired. Drizzle with reduced juice; top with carrot ribbons.
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting
- 2 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 1/2 – 4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
For more information on the recipe, visit Better Homes and Gardens website here.