(KWWL) – Investigators are still trying to figure out what happened in a grain bin tragedy that left two Waverly men dead.
Rick and Adam Schneider both worked for the family-owned Schneider’s Milling.
Family members said the father and son were inside a bin on Thursday to inspect a fire that happened the day before.
Waverly Fire Chief Dennis Happel said the two were trapped inside 8-10 feet of corn.
Happel said the cause of death for both men was due to atmospheric conditions, and they both died from a lack of oxygen.
However, the toxicology report is not yet back from the state medical examiner, so details were still unknown Saturday.
As family members continue to mourn in private, many friends remember Rick and Adam Schneider as passionate people who would do anything for anyone.
“They had that personal family touch that’s not offered everywhere,” said Allen Schweer of Tripoli.
Allen and his brother Lee Schweer own a repair shop and have been doing business with the Schneiders for more than 15 years.
“It wasn’t just a business venture. It was a fun thing,” said Allen.
The Schneider and Schweer families got to know each other well over their years of conducting business.
Their families became close, they went on camping trips and attended a handful of weddings together.
“They’re incredible people. The whole family is,” said Lee.
The Schweers said Rick and Adam were best friends.
“Adam was a mini-Rick,” said Lee. “It was perfect.”
The Schweers said they hope Schneider’s Milling will continue in the years to come, admitting they understand it will be difficult without Rick and Adam.
“It’ll be tough,” said Lee. “Everybody will make it, but it’ll be tough.”