Members of state and local law enforcement agencies will kick-off the Special Olympics Thursday with a torch run.
Runners from different agencies will each run a portion of the route from downtown Des Moines to Ames where the opening ceremonies for the Special Olympics Summer Games will begin.
The torch will be lit near the Oran Pape State Office Building in Des Moines at 10 a.m. Thursday then follow the following route:
- north on East 7th Street east on Walnut
- north on East 9th Street
- east on Hull Avenue
- north on East 14th Street –through Ankeny
- west on NE 36th Avenue
- north on Irvinedale Drive
- west on NW 118th Avenue
- north on NW 44th Street (R38)
- east on Mortensen Road in Ames
- north on University Blvd to Stuart Smith Park
The torch is expected to arrive at Hilton Coliseum around 7 p.m. and will light the stadium flame in front of Special Olympic athletes and their fans.
Law Enforcement encourages drivers who encounter the torch running group to use caution, follow the direction of escorting police vehicles, and only pass when it is safe to do so.