OFFICER SHOOTING: One Dead, One Arrested

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Two Des Moines police officers are on leave and one man is dead after an early morning home invasion.

Officers were called to the 1100 block of 24th Street just before 2 a.m. Friday on a report of a home invasion with weapons.

Just as police got to the neighborhood they spotted the two suspects trying to run. Both had guns and as officers tried to get them to stop, one of the two refused to comply.

That's when police opened fired and neighbors knew something wasn't right.

This neighborhood, just blocks from the campus of Drake University, was a crime scene for more than twelve hours.

Police looked for shell casings and any evidence left behind after two officers shot and killed 57-year-old Larry Hawkins.

He was armed with a hand-gun investigators believe was used to beat up two people in a home invasion down the street.

"When he refused to comply with orders to drop the weapon and tried to flee, officers opened fire on him in response to his actions," says Sgt. Steve Woody.

michael walkerA second suspect, 52-year-old Michael Eugene Walker complied with officers and was arrested without incident.

He's being held in the Polk County jail on charges of first degree burglary, two counts of assault causing injury and two weapons charges.

Neighbor Michael Matthews says it was too close for comfort for him, his girlfriend Kay and her young son.

"We looked at each other and said, ‘that was not fireworks.’"

They heard the gun-shots from just outside their living room window.

Kay immediately took her son to a windowless room and all three stayed indoors until late in the morning when officers said the scene was safe.

That won't be enough to keep them in the neighborhood, "I’m going to move,” Matthews says.

Police are still trying to figure out why the suspects targeted the home and if there was any relationship between them and the victims.

While they work out the details, two officers, Theodore Stroope and Jacob Hedlund are off the streets on paid administrative leave, one man is dead and another is behind bars.