Firefighters are still working to extinguish a fire that broke out Thursday evening in Des Moines and it could be burning through the weekend.
Crews were called to Des Moines Reclamation and Recycling Center at 1422 Scott Street around 6:00 Thursday night.
Heavy black smoke filled the sky as crews tried to get the fire under control. The smoke could be seen from as far away as Norwalk.
Several nearby roads were closed including the Southeast 14th Street Viaduct.
The building has been vacant for nearly five years, and fire officials say there is no power or utilities in the building which makes the fire suspicious.
This is the second time in less than two months there has been a fire at this facility.
Firefighters say it’s full of old construction debris, wood pallets and chemicals piled 20 to 30 feet high.
That has many concerned the materials inside, and the smoke from the fire are toxic.
Four firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation because they were exposed to smoke that may have contained asbestos.. Two other firefighters suffered minor sprain and strain injuries while fighting the fire.
Fire officials hope to have the fire out by Sunday evening but say it could be Monday morning before all the flames are extinguished.
According to the Polk County Assessor’s website, the building is owned by regency capital, an investment group. It was purchased two months ago.