DEADLY FIRE: Bondurant Woman Killed
A Bondurant woman is dead following a fire at her home Monday.
The Polk County Sheriff’s Office says 56-year-old Jaqueline Polite died in the fire at 948 Grant Ct. SE. Sheriff’s deputies and Bondurant Fire and Rescue were dispatched to the home after receiving a call around 10:47 a.m. about a possible fire at the home.
A deputy arrived at the home first, but he reported he was unable to enter the home because of the dense smoke and fire.
The Bondurant Fire Department arrived shortly after and found part of the home on fire.
The Ankeny, Altoona and Mitchellville Fire Departments also sent firefighters to help.
Bondurant Fire Chief, Aaron Kreuder says the fire may have smoldered for hours before someone noticed and called for help.
“The fire for the most part was a smoldering type fire was burning pretty slow it was not burning very clean, meaning it didn’t have a good oxygen source at that point so it was real smoky,” says Cheif Aaron Kreuder.
The Medical Examiner says Polite died of asphyxia due to products of combustion.
Neighbor Steve Eckstein said Polite had been sick and was on oxygen.
Eckstein said he would drive her places from time to time, and just this past week took her to the grocery store.
“When she talked to us she was friendly but she had to come to you, other than that she was a pretty good neighbor, even though she was by herself she will be missed,” says Eckstein.
The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical but the State Fire Marshal’s Office is still investigating.