Des Moines firefighters are investigating an afternoon house fire that started around 4 p.m. at 1427 E Tiffin Ave.
The man inside the house at the time lit a cigarette which ignited his oxygen tank. The flames then spread quickly through the house, officials said.
Firefighters said they were able to get the fire put out quickly while the man and his cat got out of the house. Paramedics took the man to the hospital with minor injuries.
Firefighters have responded to four cooking fires and three building fires so far this holiday weekend, officials said.