CO POISONING: Eight People Being Treated

Posted on: 8:59 am, December 13, 2013, by , updated on: 11:42am, December 13, 2013

co_poisoning

Paramedics took eight people to the hospital Friday morning after discovering carbon monoxide in their Des Moines home.

A woman called 911 around 7:00 a.m. saying she’d had a headache for the last four days. When firefighters got to 1322 11th Street, she collapsed.

Crews took the eight people, including four children and one baby, to the hospital.

Firefighters found a high level of carbon monoxide gas in the home. The gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and poisonous.

“It’s good that someone called because they all could have perished,” says Cpt. Steve Brown with the Des Moines Fire Department.

Investigators say the source of the gas was a faulty heat exchange in the furnace.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include, headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. High levels can cause loss of consciousness and ultimately death.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get fresh air immediately and call the fire department to test.

The Des Moines Fire Department recommends every home have at least one carbon monoxide detector.

4 comments

  • Mike Cee says:

    For crying out loud, why would anyone not have a working CO detector? You can buy them for less than $20.

    A CO detector would have saved 8 people a trip to the hospital, as well as the associated medical costs and the fire/rescue/police resources that were used.

    I’d be willing to bet they don’t have smoke detectors either.

    • I know, right?!?! Law enforcement should horse whip the whole lot!!! In the street right in front of their neighbors! That’ll teach people. I bet they didn’t even own that place and was just renting it! The landlord shouldn’t have any responsibility and should evict them for whatever excuse he can make up.
      I betcha they voted for that librill-scum Obama…

      (How’d I do, Mike? Can we be friends??? :D )

  • Coffee Pot says:

    That furnace probly worked ok last year. Homeowners will replace their car every two years but that furnace better last 50. That crack won’t hurt a thing. There’s even a website saying furnaces can’t put CO in the home. Don’t know how he keeps from getting sued… but anyway, I have seen a two month old furnace have a bad heat exchanger and right now some manufacturers are having problems with the secondary heat exchangers… Check the flue gas CO it should not be over 100 ppm,, or 400 air free… But at least get a CO detecter or two. I’ve seen more CO problems this year than ever before for some reason.

Comments are closed.

13now_smartphones_140
Never be out of the loop!

Take Channel 13 News everywhere you go