HOUSE FIRE: Embers Likely Sparked Blaze

Posted on: 1:07 pm, December 13, 2013, by

house fire

Fireplace ashes may have sparked a fire that destroyed a Des Moines home Thursday.

A passerby noticed smoke coming out of the home at 2623 Hickman Road Thursday morning. When firefighters arrived the home was fully engulfed in flame. It took firefighters a few hours to get the fire under control.

Fire investigators say embers in a bucket started a fire on the backside of the home.

No one was home at the time of the fire, The Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.

Damage to the home is estimated at $200,000.