(CNN) — One of two former high school football players convicted in a rape that shook the eastern Ohio community of Steubenville has been released from juvenile detention, his attorney said Monday.
Ma’lik Richmond, who was 16 when he was convicted last year of raping a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville in 2012, “recently completed his designated time” at a juvenile correctional facility, Richmond’s family said in a statement released by attorney Walter Madison.
Richmond had been sentenced to a minimum of one year in a juvenile correctional facility, but he was credited for the time he served before the trial.
CNN has reached out to the victim’s attorney for a response.
Richmond and Steubenville High School football teammate Trenton Mays were convicted in March of the rape, which attracted national attention after photos and videos of the incident made their way onto social media. Mays, who was 17 when he was convicted, also was found guilty of disseminating a nude photo of a minor and was sentenced to two years.
The girl was raped at a party in August 2012.
CNN’s Poppy Harlow contributed to this report.