MEDICAL MARIJUANA: Mother Makes Plea

Posted on: 3:14 pm, January 14, 2014, by

maria la france marijuana

A Des Moines mother went before the Iowa Board of Pharmacy Tuesday to ask them to legalize medical marijuana for her 12-year-old son.

Maria La France’s son, Quincy, suffers from epileptic seizures.

La France spoke before the board saying doctors believe the oil from the cannabis plant would help her son stop seizing.

“He has tried at least 30 medications all which have dangerous side effects,” La France told the board.

She also presented the board with a list of 1,000 sick Iowans who are also hoping to get marijuana legalized.

She asked the board to make rules for responsibly distributing cannabis as medicine.

“I have to have hope,” La France said. “Somebody has got to listen to me. Whether it’s Governor Branstad, the legislature or the Board of Pharmacy but if it’s managed responsibly it can help a lot of people.”

The board must respond to La France’s request in 60 days.

They told La France that this is a long process that includes the governor and the legislature. The board says if the matter moves forward it would take up to 18 months to finish.

• Better move to Colorado honey!!!

• mysttryst says:

NO she doesn’t have to move. It will eventually be legalized here. Maybe you can move!

• Unfortunately, her child may not have 18 months if he doesn’t get treated. Moving to Colorado may be her only option. If there were political will on the part of the Governor (see: Mario Cuomo) it would be legal tomorrow and she could get the medicine without fear of spending her life in prison and having her child put at the mercy of the state.

• Carl Olsen says:

I can believe the governor, or anyone for that matter, could have a change of heart, but I haven’t seen any indication of it yet. I’m praying for you, Maria.

• -=YellowFlame=- says:

Carl,
      If a person looks up marijuana in the search at https://www.legis.iowa.gov/ you can see that they are taking all the language out that says anything about the board of pharmacy’s rules dealing with marijuana. Why? Why would they be scrambling to make this change and not address the elephant in the room already? A person would think that a state appointed board of pharmacist would want to be the ones to make rules for a medicine. The Board needs to step up and do what they were built to do in my opinion. They have had more than enough time to establish “RULES” from the time you went after them.
      God Bless you in your adventures Carl!
      -=YellowFlame=-

• Carl Olsen says:

Stay tuned. Maria did a great job yesterday. We still have a court case pending against the board, although we are still asking them to make the same recommendation they made in 2010. We had trial in Polk County District Court on January 3, 2014, and we should get a ruling soon. I did not attend the hearing yesterday, so I don’t know what Maria asked the board to do. This report on WHO says they have 60 days to respond, so we should find out soon enough. If Maria filed anything with the board, I haven’t seen it yet. If she sends me a copy I’ll let everyone know.

• Yes, because Iowa is run by governor who has stated he will spit on the people and veto any bill that legalizes cannabis in any form, while celebrating the fact that Iowa tax payers are forced to subsidize alcohol abuse.

• Rick Gaffey says:

Last week during the State Fair ticket fiasco, Branstad stated “the Fair Board should listen to the concerns of fair goers and Iowans”. OK Terry, the polls show majority of Iowans are FOR medical cannabis. Can you hear us now?

• Sam says:

Are you serious. Marijuana to stop seizures? What’s next…….cures heart disease, cancer and stupidity.

Honey, buy a one way ticket to Colorado.

• mysttryst says:

Um.. NO she doesn’t have to get a one-way ticket anywhere! This is her state and she along with the Majority of others want it legalized and it WILL happen eventually! This is becoming less and less a r–n*ck state. Get used to it or move!

• Baggins says:

Cannabis has been used successfully at treating many seizure disorders. Please educate yourself before you speak. The last thing we need is more ignorance and naivety when it comes to cannabis. Go back to the hole you crawled out of and hug your bible, it’ll all be ok. Maybe if you wish hard enough, the dirty stoners will go away!

• Ray Lakers says:

Diabetes for one…….don’t step on the grass…Sam…

• Sam, I hope you’re being sarcastic. Cannabis HAS been shown to help all the above conditions except stupidity.

• Jake says:

Spoken like someone who’s full of compassion and know’s what they’re talking about. What a lame statement.

• Loretta says:

I could spend time I don’t have at the moment providing you with links to the documented scientific proof that CANNABIS does stop seizures, but I’m sure you can find that information very quickly if you take the time to Google it. I’m so disgusted with people that state such doubts about the healing potential of this plant. You simply need to search and read. The science is in Colorado, California……..everywhere they’ve had the medical freedom to do the clinical trials and tests.

• Matthew says:

Sam, please watch the CNN special by Dr. Sanjay Gupta titled “Weed” and also watch “Run from the Cure, The Rick Simpson Story”, both on youtube, and see if you change your tune. Narrow minded people like you are the reason that innocent children and helpless cancer patients are not able to get the relief they have the right to. It’s a plant for gosh sakes!! Where do you think many of the other pharmaceuticals come from?

• Suzanne says:

Very well said Matthew and it is a great documentary! Nobody will ever understand until they are put in this terrible situation. This is saving people’s lives!!! It is proven to help with seizures and cancer, I know for a fact. And if it helps at all with stupidity…Move to Colorado Sam!!!

• mysttryst says:

It will be legalized here as soon as the old f*rt Faux news viewers die off… which won’t be long now.

• Ray Lakers says:

no one should have to move…..to avoid the medical terrorists in Iowa..

• Ray Lakers says:

“The board says if the matter moves forward it would take up to 18 months to finish.”….as Iowans suffer the tyranny of Terrybull..

• 18 Months!!! Bet if it was one of these board members or someone sitting in the senate or house whose loved one had the need they would have the treatment.. of course it would be kept quiet because they won’t change the laws for their own benefit… it might help someone else.. so they will fly under the radar and smuggle in the weed…. Probably in a speeding Iowa Highway Patrol car right to their door.

• Dawn W. says:

I, too, am in support of legalizing it at the very least for medical use as it’s proven to be helpful in a way other drugs have not been so far.

• Susan says:

I believe most of the above marijuana legalization/medical use are Obama voters.

• Carl Olsen says:

General Barry McCaffrey, drug czar in the Clinton Administration tried to stop medical marijuana, but was unsuccessful.

Barry McCaffrey was director of Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) under President Bill Clinton from 1996 to 2001. He was confirmed unanimously by the U.S. Senate on February 29, 1996. As director of ONDCP, McCaffrey sat in President Clinton’s Cabinet.

Conant v. Walters, 309 F.3d 629 (9th Cir. 2002), rehearing denied, rehearing en banc denied by Conant v. McCaffrey (9th Cir., Feb. 6, 2003), certiorari denied by Walters v. Conant, 540 U.S. 946; 124 S. Ct. 387; 157 L. Ed. 2d 276 (2003), Appeal from the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. William H. Alsup, District Judge, Presiding. D.C. No. CV-97-00139-WHA. Conant v. McCaffrey (N.D. Cal., Sept. 7, 2000)

• Ray Lakers says:

marijuana got more votes than Obama in every election…

• WHAT??? What dos ones political views have to do with this? For the record, I am not an Obama supporter. I NEVER voted for the man. And I wouldn’t even if he could run again. Marijuana is a natural pain relief aid, unlike the man mad medications I am forced to take or go without. FORCED, because I have a pain management contract with my doctor, and IF I were to self medicate and this was learned by my health care provider I would lose what medications I have for pain management. I’m not and never have been a user of Marijuana, however I am convinced it would be a far better and heathier choice for pain management than the Rx I am currently using.

• Katherine says:

If your seeing pain management doctor, your obviously disabled and on the take from those working. You sound like you just want to sit around and get high all day.

There is a reason you have a pain contract, your an addict.

• Jake says:

The medical marijuana referred to here, Katherine, doesn’t get you high. Do your research and learn how to spell.

• Jake says:

Utter foolishness, Susan. I’m a conservative/libertarian who didn’t (and wouldn’t) vote for Obama. Medical marijuana is effective and lacks the THC content that gets people high. All these politically motivated comments are garbage. Medical marijuana is a-political. It’s a plant derived compound that works. A lot like the opiate in Vicodin is a plant derived compound that helps people in pain.

• Doctor says:

Have to jump here Jake. Hydrocodone in vidodin in plant derived, but is synthetic narcotic. Yes, it is does relieve pain, but is also addictive and does get you high.

• Carl Olsen says:

Hydrocodone is legal for medical use. Isn’t that the point? The THC in Schedule III Marinol, for example, is synthetic. However, opium plants are classified as medicine and marijuana is not. Isn’t that the point here? If synthetic drugs had anything to do with it, marijuana would be classified as medicine already. Marinol was placed in schedule II in 1986 and transferred to schedule III in 1999, and its 100% pure THC (the only substance in marijuana that is psychoactive).