A Des Moines homeowner says his furnace is to blame for a fire at his home.
Firefighters were called just after 2:30 p.m. Thursday in the 1600 block of Dean Avenue.
Dennis Paxton says he was downstairs in the basement checking on the furnace when he noticed a red light flashing.
“I waited a couple of seconds and then blast, plaster fell and everything inside the chimney and I thought uh oh,” Paxton said.
Paxton got out of the house and ran to his neighbor, who called 911.
Fortunately, no one was injured, but there is significant smoke damage to the home. The Red Cross say they’re helping Paxton with lodging, food and clothing.