FAMILY ESCAPES: Child May Have Set Fire
The Des Moines Fire Department believes a child may be to blame for a fire at an East 16th Street duplex Thursday night.
Fire investigator Brian O’Keefe says, “There`s no other heat sources you know there`s no candle there`s no cooking there`s heating appliances.”
The fire started at the foot of a mattress. Firefighters say one of the children told their mother the mattress was on fire. When she went upstairs, she found her young child sleeping in the bed while it was on fire.
The family went to the neighbor’s to call 911, but the fire damaged that side of the duplex too.
The fire department is interviewing all of the seven children to get a better understanding of what exactly happened.