twitter-80x801
Follow Channel 13 News on Twitter

Headlines @WHOtv Behind-the-Scenes @WHOhd

HOT TOPIC: Bill Introduced To Legalize Fireworks

Posted on: 8:39 pm, February 3, 2014, by

Weekend Fireworks Pics...Mother Nature Fireworks Tonight

Ottumwa Senator Mark Chelgren wants to fight fires with fireworks.

The Republican introduced a bill to legalize the sale of fireworks Monday.  All taxes collected from fireworks sales would go to local fire departments to help buy new trucks and equipment.

Fireworks were banned in Iowa in 1938 following a large fire in Spencer.  That fire was started by a sparkler – one of the few fireworks that are currently legal in Iowa.

• ervserver says:

yes, its time to legalize them

• William Denison says:

But what about the children? Whos going to protect our babys from blowing off their fingers with a M-80? The “what about our children” argument can be made for anything. Even to legalize fireworks. So save it next time the Cannabis debate comes up.

• William Denison says:

Fireworks were banned in Iowa in 1938. FYI This was Terry Branstads first act as gov in his 2rd term. At the time he was considered for the SOA post under the President Roosevelt.

• Jake says:

It is time some body stands up to legalizing fireworks the state would make so much money off this I am a big supporter of this all the way I hope they go through with it you got my vote I say yes

• Brandon Harris says:

I say yes are we going why is that fireworks in Iowa that would bring a lot of money and to help the firefighters get new stuff for the firefighters

• Brandon Harris says:

sorry for the first comment people I meant to say yes I’ll legalize fireworks in Iowa that would be helpful for the firefighters and that would bring in a lot of money and my aunt lives out in western Nebraska and they can light off fireworks on new years eve day and night to

13now_smartphones_140
Never be out of the loop!

Take Channel 13 News everywhere you go