SPORT SUPPORT: DM Curling Club Sweeps Up Fun
You may have no idea how it’s scored or how much those big rocks that slide across the ice weigh. But for some reason when it’s on your TV screen, you’re hooked.
“I had a bunch of friends who watched a lot of curling. We decided we wanted to give it a try,” said Nate Boulton, President of the Des Moines Curling Club.
“My brother and I would watch that and think how difficult that could be. It looks like a lot of fun to play,” said Jeremy Feitelson, a member of the Des Moines Club.
Nate and Jeremy know the feeling.
Nate got involved with the sport after watching the 2002 Winter Olympics and Jeremy started playing a few years after that.
“It’s not as easy as you’d think it would be. There is a bit of cardiovascular work involved in it,” said Feitelson.
Currently there are four teams in the metro, but the Des Moines Curling Club hopes television coverage sparks enough interest to get people off the couch and on to the ice.
During a short session at Brenton Skating Plaza, the club was able to recruit a new fan of the sport.
“I definitely think there are enough people around town that would find this fun, interesting and a good past time,” said Tony Hansen.
Hansen in his twenties but it’s not the only age range Feitelson thinks will enjoy playing.
“When we finished our current league there was a guy in his sixties with a bad back that had a stick to push the stones with,” said Feitelson.
Regardless of your age or physical ability, local curlers hope you’ll let your curiosity lead you to your nearest ice rink.
Check out the upcoming curling events in Des Moines below.
February 12 from 6 to 8 p.m. the Des Moines Curling Olympic Exhibition at Brenton Skating Plaza
- Curious about what curling is really like to play? Want to know more about strategy? Want to test your skills at delivering stones or sweeping? Come learn the basics of curling at Brenton Skating Plaza from 6-8pm on February 12! Cost is $10 per person.
February 15 from 4 to 6 p.m. the Des Moines Curling Open House at the Metro Ice Sports Facility
- Come check out where our club holds its events, from leagues to tournaments (bonspiels in curling speak), and take the opportunity to try out the sport. Cost is $10 per person.
February 16 after the Iowa Wild game the Iowa Wild and Des Moines Curling’s Learn to Curl Event
- Come for the hockey, stay for the curling! We will have curlers on hand at “skill stations” so you can get a taste of the sport.
February 23 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. the Iowa Curling Cup and Des Moines Novice Bonspiel
- An 8-team open tournament for new curlers including introductory lessons before the tournament begins. Proceeds will benefit Habitat for Humanity. Registrations are already full, but email us at DMCurling@gmail.com to be included on the wait list.
March 2 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. the Des Moines Open Bonspiel
- An 8-team open “short game” tournament for new and experienced curlers. $250 per team with a guarantee of two three end games. Proceeds will benefit the Des Moines and Drake Curling Club efforts to purchase new stones. Registration forms can be requested , by emailing DMCurling@gmail.com.
2014-2015 League and Bonspiel Registration
- To reserve a spot for the 2014-2015 league season, just email us at DMCurling@gmail.com for more information. Leagues play once per week from approximately October through March. Dates to be determined. Non-refundable deposit of $100 required to reserve any league spots.
- We will also hold an open bonspiel in 2015. Check back here or email us for updates on the details.