MESSY MONDAY: Icy/Snowy Commute
***A Winter Weather Advisory goes into effect at midnight through noon on Monday for all of Central Iowa.***
Patchy freezing rain and sleet will develop through the overnight in Northwestern Iowa. This will transition to a mix of sleet and snow by 7 AM on Monday in the Des Moines metro. There will be a glaze of ice and then another 1 to 2″ of snow on top of that, with most of the snow falling during the morning commute. The drive in to work will be very slick on Monday morning. Plan on extra time to get in to the office.
As quickly as the wintry mess moves through, skies will clear Monday afternoon and highs will reach the low 40s. Daytime highs will stay in the 40s and 50s the remainder of the week.
Here is the winter mess timeline in the Des Moines Metro:
- Midnight to 3 AM – Patchy freezing drizzle and rain
- 3 AM to 6 AM – Scattered areas of sleet and freezing rain
- 6 AM to 9 AM – Change to snow
- 9 AM to Noon – Snow moves east of I-35
- Noon and Beyond – Clearing skies and 40s!