A power surge may be to blame for a morning fire at a vacant Des Moines home.
Des Moines firefighters were called to 1230 Birch Lane, on the city’s south side, around 9:00 a.m. Monday. When they got there, they saw heavy smoke pouring from the home.
Crews had to evacuate the home of firefighters for a short time because a floor collapsed while they were inside battling the fire, but no one was hurt.
Neighbors told firefighters the home has been vacant for about two years. They also said there was a power surge in the area right before they noticed the home was on fire.