LOOKING BACK: Younkers’ 2005 Closing
The Younkers building has been a landmark in downtown Des Moines for over a century. Saturday morning the historic building caught fire and a piece of Iowa history was destroyed.
The store opened in 1899 and featured a new attraction, the “electric stairs.” The store closed in 2005.
The building was under renovation at the time of the fire. Retail space was planned for the lower floors with housing on the upper floors.
Channel 13 had the chance to see the inside of the store when it closed in 2005. A couple touring the nearly empty space shared their favorite memories of the store with us.
Watch the video: