Fire investigators think something sparked on a rural Dallas Center family's porch before strong winds caused the resulting fire to spread rapidly.
Fire crews from about 10 departments were called to 20728 T Avenue a little after 11:00 a.m. Tuesday.
Granger Fire Chief Jarrod Sturtz said the mother saw smoke upstairs and quickly gathered her young children out of the burning home to safety. The chief said the wind spread flames from the porch up the side of the house, through the vinyl siding and into attic.
"It pushes the fire a lot faster than we can get it knocked down, especially when it's the exterior," Sturtz said of the wind.
Sturtz wasn't sure what started the fire. No one was injured. But the home suffered extensive damage.