DES MOINES, Iowa — The Iowa State Fair has announced the new foods you’ll get to munch on during the 2014 fair.
There were eight entries into the fair’s New Food Contest and five finalists have been chosen. Fairgoers will have the chance to vote on their favorite throughout the fair. The items cost only $3.
The five finalists are:
- Brownie Blitz: a delicious combination of cream cheese brownie bits, whipped cream, chocolate syrup and coconut (available at Bauders Ice Cream on the southwest side of the Agriculture Building)
- Caprese Salad On-a-Stick: a mouthwatering skewer of cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinaigrette (available at the Salad Bowl in the Agriculture Building and Cultural Center Courtyard)
- Smoked Brisket and Bacon Mac N Cheese: macaroni topped with chunks of smoked brisket and apple wood smoked bacon and tossed in a creamy three cheese sauce (available at the Rib Shack in Walnut Square)
- Three Buck Bowl: two crispy potato skins filled with fluffy scrambled eggs, fresh salsa and shredded cheddar cheese (available at Steer N Stein on the Grand Concourse)
- Funnel Cake Sticks: vanilla, chocolate or strawberry funnel cake batter, served on-a-stick and topped with icing (available at Arnold’s Concessions on Rock Island Avenue across from the Livestock Pavilion)
The other three value-priced entries this year are:
- Zombie Cones: shaved ice cones available in sour cherry, blueberry, grape, orange, lime or bubble gum flavors and topped with a gummy eyeball or sour worm (available at Cherie Schler Concessions at the northwest corner of the Putney Family Cattle Barn)
- Red Velvet Flurry: chunks of red velvet cake mixed with vanilla ice cream and cream cheese frosting (available at Ford Concessions in Walnut Square)
- Jumbo Toasted Marshmallow On-a-stick: homemade jumbo marshmallows in vanilla bean, caramel, chocolate or maple bacon flavors, toasted to perfection and served on-a-stick (available at Beaverdale Confections in Shoppers’ Mart)
More new foods from vendors this year are:
- Fair-berry Fair Square (available at the Fair Square stand at the northwest corner of the Administration Building)
- Pineapple Inside Out Funnel Cake (available at The Best Around Concessions in the Triangle east of the Administration Building)
- Chicken Fried Bacon (available at Benoit Concessions west of the Riley Stage)
- Chocolate Covered Bacon Nougat On-a-stick (available at Oasis Concessions on the southwest side of the Livestock Pavilion)
- Chocolate Covered Cookies N Cream On-a-stick (available at Oasis Concessions on the southwest side of the Livestock Pavilion)
- Mexican Grilled Corn On-the-cob (available at Steak & Shakeup on the southwest corner of the Livestock Pavilion and the east end of the Varied Industries Building)
- Tater Dog On-a-stick (available at Brenda Smith Concessions west of the Riley Stage)
The 2014 Iowa State Fair runs from August 7th through August 17th.