Severe Weather Alerts

Urban Horizons: Where’s the Money Going?

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Urbandale Police continue to investigate a Des Moines non-profit called Urban Horizons, which claims to be dedicated to "youth development."

We visited Urban Horizons' Des Moines office, which is actually a dilapidated home on 14th Place.  We knocked on the door, but no one answered.

In April, the President of Urban Horizons, Robert McGregor Sr., received a Peddler's Permit from the City of Urbandale.  Urbandale Police have since suspended the permit.  Investigators have questions about how the organization is using donations and how it's representing itself.

"We had some complaints that they were associating themselves with local charities," said Officer Jeff Casey.

McGregor declined an interview.  So did Linda King, the woman listed as the Treasurer for Urban Horizons on the Secretary of State's website.  A volunteer for the non-profit told us the money he collected by going door-to-door was given to McGregor, who said it would be used to turn the office on 14th Place into a shelter for at risk children.

"We're asking people if they've had any contact with Robert McGregor or Urban Horizons to contact the Urbandale Police Department," said Casey.

Urbandale may not be the only place Urban Horizons solicited donations.  Its last Peddling Permit indicates the organization has also operated in West Des Moines, Clive and Iowa City.



  • Sally

    It is people like this, assuming this IS fraud, that give real charities a bad name. It is sad that there are so many dishonest people that you don’t know who to trust. My money goes to the ARL. It’s never the animal’s fault that they no longer have a home. And, if I buy $150 worth of dog food and take it out there, I know that $150 worth of my donation went to the charity of my choice!

    • BrutallyHonest

      I feel like most charities are a scam. What % of the money donated ACTUALLY goes to the cause they are collecting it for? This could be wrong, but i believe i heard a figure regarding the Red Cross where only like 10% of the money donated goes to any sort of cause because the other 90% goes to pay all their over head. That seems like a scam to me.

      • Sally

        Yes, I have heard that same thing, Brutally, that is exactly why I purchase a product and take it out. You can call and find out what they need. I have been fortunate and found a small pet store that will work with me on price if I buy enough and they know I am donating it.

Comments are closed.