DES MOINES, Iowa – Local cyclists say the weeks before RAGBRAI can often been the busiest and most dangerous for people out on trails. While thousands of people are prepping for RAGBRAI, local cycle clubs say some bikers aren`t taking the proper precautions while training on the trails. President of the Des Moines Cycle Club Georgie Libbie thinks this is the worst it’s ever been and she’s not sure why. She says too many people are not following the rules and it’s putting others in danger.
Below are a few pointers for novice and experienced riders.
Trail Biking Basics
- Always wear a helmet.
- Use a light at night.
- Stay in the right lane (runners included).
- Communicate before passing another person on the left.
- Do not take breaks on a trail.
- Do not brake suddenly unless absolutely necessary.
- Watch out of debris on a trail and warn others behind you of possible debris.
- Never bike side-by-side.
- Give other bikers plenty of space.
- Take corners with caution.
- Learn basic hand signals and practice them.