Police: ‘Aggressive’ Man Tased Three Times, Doesn’t Even Flinch

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas (KFSM) — An aggressive man being uncooperative with police was tased three times, and he didn’t even flinch, authorities say.

Kotto Cotton, 41, of Fayetteville was arrested on Aug. 12 around 3:57 p.m. after the Fayetteville Police Department responded to a call of an intoxicated man causing a disturbance in the 1400 block of North Dawn Drive, according to a preliminary report.

Cotton fled from police at one point and was tased multiple times without even flinching, according to the report.

Cotton had been knocking on doors randomly in the neighborhood and was wandering through the area clapping since that morning. The caller said Cotton was intoxicated, the report states.

Police located Cotton and noted in the report he was sweating heavily, his eyes were bloodshot and he had a very hard time comprehending simple conversation, according to the report.

It took him several minutes of “deep thought” to recall his name and address when asked, the report states.

Authorities asked Cotton to sit in the shade while they completed their investigation. Instead, he began to walk away, despite police getting in his path and telling him to stop. He looked “angry” and assumed an aggressive posture continuing to walk to the cop in front of him, according to the report.

The cop moved backwards because Cotton had a “large muscular build.” Drawing his taser, the cop told Cotton to stop, or he’d be shocked. Cotton continued to advance “aggressively,” and the officer fired his taser, striking the man in the chest and stomach. The taser worked properly, delivering a shock, but Cotton did not respond to the charge, the report states.

Cotton started running in a different direction, and the cop shocked him again. The suspect merely ripped off the wires of the taser attached to him. Another officer tased him, striking Cotton in his left rib cage, but again, the shock visibly did nothing. The suspect ripped those taser wires off him and kept running, according to the report.

Officers noted in the report that something was stopping the suspect from feeling pain. After a fourth tase, the suspect fell on his back, but Cotton did not cry out in pain, the report states.

Cotton fought with officers on the ground and refused to cooperate. He was eventually secured in handcuffs and taken to Washington Regional Medical Center, according to the report.

Before he was taken to the hospital, Cotton’s pulse was measured by EMS workers, and he had a resting heart rate of 117 beats per minute. They were unable to take his blood pressure, the report states.

At the hospital, the suspect was “loud and vulgar.” He seemed to put on a show for the staff. When nurses came to tend to him, he called them “expletive,” according to the report.

At 5:24 p.m., his heart rate was measured again at 96 beats per minute, and he continued to sweat profusely. The doctor tending to him through he was under the influence of drugs, the report states.

Cotton said he hadn’t slept in a “really long time,” according to the report.

After being discharged from the hospital, Cotton went limp in the parking lot, refusing to get in the car. When forced to stand up, he tried to flee, but he failed to do so. After physically refusing to get in the vehicle, an officer struck Cotton twice in the leg with his knee. The strikes didn’t seem to affect Cotton, but he got in the car anyway, the report states.

He was booked into the Washington County Detention Center and faces charges of public intoxication, loitering, fleeing, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and third-degree attempted escape, according to the report. His bond was set at $2,000, the jail’s intake report states.

On Wednesday morning (Aug. 13), he bonded out of the detention center, officials said.


Comments are closed.