DES MOINES, Iowa — The countdown to the Iowa State Fair is underway. The fair is still a little less than two months away but on Wednesday fair officials announced some of the new food you’ll see at this year’s fair.
16 new items will be available for fairgoers to enjoy this year, including:
• Apple Pie On-a-Stick – sliced apples dipped in a funnel cake batter and apple pie spice, deep fried and topped with cinnamon sugar. Served with a side of caramel and three apple wedges.
• Cattleman’s Steak Wrap – juicy marinated certified angus beef, traditonal peppers and onions, lettuce, and cheese all wrapped in a flour tortilla, and topped with a chipotle mayo.
• Chocolate Dipped Strawberries on a Stick
• Corn in a Cup – Available in two varieties. “The Iowan,” which includes a cup of corn niblets, pork sausage, cheddar cheese, mayo, butter, lime and spicy magic dust. “The Mexican” is a blend of corn niblets, pork chorizo, coyote cheese, butter, mayo, lime, and spicy magic dust.
• Deep Fried Cherry Pie
• Deep Fried Nacho Balls – seasoned ground beef, jalapenos, and cheddar cheese rolled in a Nacho Cheese Dorito crust. Deep fried and served with nacho cheese dipping sauce.
• Donut Sundae
• Golden Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly on a Stick
• Gluten Free Corndog
• Kernel Kluster
• Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cake
• Toasted Coconut Caramel Cluster – a blend coconut, pretzel pieces, and caramel dipped in chocolate and served on a stick.
• Ultimate Bacon Explosion – moked pure ground brisket, diced jalapenos, a few onions, infused with a pepper cheese, all wrapped in bacon, and served with a sweet and spicy chili glaze.
• 27° Super Chill Beer
• Chocolate Marshmallow Malt
In 2014, the fair debuted several new food items including smoked brisket and bacon mac n’ cheese, funnel cake sticks, zombie cones and others.
You can buy tickets for the fair, which runs from August 13-23, by clicking here.