Man Sent to Hospital after Firework Explodes in Hands

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINTERSET, Iowa – An accident involving fireworks sent one man to the hospital with serious injuries on Saturday.

Authorities say a mortar-type firework exploded in the hands of 28-year-old Jimmy Saenogaroun of Des Moines around 10:30 p.m. The incident occurred at a private residence in the 2200 block of 152nd Street, just outside the town of Winterset.

Saenogaroun sustained injuries to his face, neck, and arm after the explosive blew up near his face, according to the Madison County Sheriff's Office.

"Both hands had some major lacerations to them and to the left side of his face, in the lower jaw area. He had a very large, for a lack of a better word, hole in it (his jaw) from the explosion," said Deputy Don Kinney.

According to witnesses, the man was holding the mortar tube above his head. They said  it was the concrete plug in the bottom of the mortar that struck Saenogaroun in the face as the firecracker exploded.

Investigators do not believe alcohol was a factor in the accident. However, illegal firework use charges are pending for potentially the property owner and Seanogaroun, as neither had a fireworks permit.

The man was taken to an area hospital for treatment. Family members tell authorities he's undergone surgery on his face and hand.