Severe Weather Alerts

Hoverboard Likely Sparked Urbandale Apartment Building Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire at Urbandale apartment complex. (WHO-HD)

URBANDALE, Iowa – One person was injured in a fire that officials say was started by a hoverboard at an Urbandale apartment complex Friday morning.

The fire was reported around 10:45 a.m. at the Ambassador West Apartments at 7600 Dennis Drive. One person was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Urbandale Fire Chief Jerry Holt says the fire, which was contained to an apartment on the first floor, was likely started due to a hoverboard sparking while in use.

Departments from Urbandale and Clive responded to the fire.