Severe Weather Alerts

Faulty Outlet Causes House Fire in Marshalltown

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WHO-HD

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa  —  Crews in Marshalltown responded to a report of a house fire early Saturday morning.

Upon arriving to the residence on Orchard Drive, fire officials found smoke coming from the basement and first floor windows; the fire was later found in a wall in the basement, caused by a faulty outlet.

The homeowner said he and his wife had been sleeping when they were woken up by the home’s fire alarms; all occupants made it out of the house safely, and no injuries were reported.

The building suffered an estimated $20,000 in damages.