Weather Alerts

Flames Destroy Waterloo Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WATERLOO, Iowa  --  An eastern Iowa family is without a home this weekend after a fire sparked in their kitchen and spread to most of their home.

Waterloo firefighters responded to the house fire just after 7 a.m. on Saturday at the corner of Glenwood and Mohawk Street. Officials say the fire started in the kitchen and spread quickly.

No one was injured, but a man was asleep inside when the fire started.

"He said he was sleeping on the couch and his girlfriend was about to cook something, I can only surmise she put something on the stove and left the house with him sleeping on the sofa and he woke up to smoke alarms going off," said a witness.

Firefighters say there was a lot of damage to the home, and the American Red Cross is now helping the family.