JOHNSTON, Iowa – One not-for-profit organization donates water bottle filling stations to schools across the state and is seeing results in its first three months.
Delta Dental of Iowa Foundation gave 54 schools the new filling station to encourage students to stay hydrated throughout the day. It is a part of a new program called "Rethink Your Drink" that encourages children to live a healthier lifestyle.
According to the not-for-profit organization, over 200,000 plastic water bottles have been saved from the Iowa landfills.
Executive Director of Delta Dental of Iowa Foundation Suzanne Heckenlaible said the nonprofit is opening a new round of applications for schools to apply for a free water bottle filling station.
“We are looking at schools from a criteria perspective. The highest need in schools get a bump up. So those schools that have 100 percent of their children enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program they will be looked at first,” Heckenlaible said.
Heckenlaible said schools who already have a filling station will not receive a new one.
In addition to the filling stations, the not-for-profit organization gives every student in the school a free water bottle and toothbrush.
Heckenlaible said 170 schools applied for a filling station for the 2017 school year. The nonprofit’s goal for the 2018 school year is to give 60 schools these filling stations.
“Studies have proven children need water throughout the day to increase cognitive functions and energy levels. We know from reports that over 50 percent of kids today, children and teens, are not optimally hydrated throughout the day,” Heckenlaible said.
Around 28,000 students use the filling stations.
Schools can apply here to receive a filling station for the 2018 school year. The deadline to apply is May 1st.
Schools that have received a filling station include:
Washington Elementary School Atlantic
- Schuler Elementary
- Futures Alternative High School
- North Hill Elementary School
- Charter Oak-Ute Elementary
- Jefferson Elementary School
- Bluff Elementary
- Crestview School of Inquiry
- Roundy Elementary
- Monroe Elementary
- Willard Elementary
- Capitol View Elementary
- Hoyt Middle School
- North High School
- Callanan Middle School
- Morris Elementary
- Garton Elementary
- Brubaker Elementary
- Hoover High School
- Madison Elementary
- Phillips Elementary
- Fulton Elementary School
- Prescott Elementary School
- Thomas Jefferson Middle School
- Eagle Grove High School
- Emmetsburg High School
- Dyersville Elementary
- West Sioux Schools; Hawarden Elementary
- Greene-County Elementary School
- George Washington Elementary School
- Central Decatur Community Schools
- Holgan Elementary Schools
- Lenihan Middle School
- Marshalltown Community School District Fisher Elementary
- Mason City Community Schools/ Harding Elementary
- Franklin Elementary School
- Madison Elementary
- Central Middle School
- Emerson Hough Elementary School
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary, Newton CSD
- Liberty Elementary
- Wilson Elementary
- James Elementary
- St. Patrick School
- Morningside Elementary
- Lincoln Elementary
- Storm Lake Elementary School
- Southwest Valley Middle School
- Irving Elementary
- Lowell Elementary School
- Kittrell Elementary School
- Walnut Creek Campus
- Hillside Elementary