13 fascinating facts about Lynn Melling:
• I love Russian literature. I can get lost in a Tolstoy novel for hours. (I also love NPR, so I guess I’m officially a nerd.)
• Gardening has suddenly become a big passion of mine. I can spend hours outside, working in my flower beds. You can tell I’m still learning, though, because usually nothing blooms.
• Miss Piggy has always been one of my idols. Sure, she can be a bit demanding, but she’s got a soft side, too.
• I have two younger brothers. One served in Iraq with the Army. The other is going to medical school.
• My husband was born and raised in Alaska. His mom grew up in a village, off the road system. His grandma can take down a grizzly bear with one shot.
• My idea of a perfect afternoon is floating on a lake with a good book.
• I was on the swim team in high school.
• I’m very thrifty. One of my favorite places to shop is Goodwill.
• I can’t whistle.
• I spent a year in Madrid, Spain during college. It was the best year of my life. Unfortunately, I can’t remember much Spanish.
• I grew up in a small town in Minnesota, so I’m not sure why I don’t have a Minnesota accent. But I can fake one really well.
• I’m a mom to two beautiful children, a boy and a girl.
• Someday, I’d like to learn how to cook more than just mashed potatoes and spaghetti.
Lynn Melling has been working in the TV news industry since 1998. She graduated from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota in 2001. She worked in Salisbury, Maryland and Anchorage, Alaska before accepting a job as the weekend anchor at WHO-TV in 2005. In 2008, she was promoted to her current position, as the anchor for Channel 13 News at 9 on FOX 17. She is also involved in helping her husband run his video production business, 515 Productions, which he founded in 2006.
Lynn and Ian have two kids, Jack and Aubrey. In her free time, she likes to clean the house and do laundry. Her favorite topics of conversation are: pop culture, celebrity gossip and chardonnay.
You can catch Lynn’s Daily Distraction video segment each day on her Facebook page. Please send her story ideas and segment ideas. She can use all the help she can get.