13 fascinating facts about Lynn Melling:
• I love Russian literature. I can get lost in a Tolstoy novel for hours. (I also love NPR, so I guess I’m officially a nerd.)
• Gardening has suddenly become a big passion of mine. I can spend hours outside, working in my flower beds. You can tell I’m still learning, though, because usually nothing blooms.
• Miss Piggy has always been one of my idols. Sure, she can be a bit demanding, but she’s got a soft side, too.
• I have two younger brothers. One served in Iraq with the Army. The other is going to medical school.
• My husband was born and raised in Alaska. His mom grew up in a village, off the road system. His grandma can take down a grizzly bear with one shot.
• My idea of a perfect afternoon is floating on a lake with a good book.
• I was on the swim team in high school.
• I’m very thrifty. One of my favorite places to shop is Goodwill.
• I can’t whistle.
• I spent a year in Madrid, Spain during college. It was the best year of my life. Unfortunately, I can’t remember much Spanish.
• I grew up in a small town in Minnesota, so I’m not sure why I don’t have a Minnesota accent. But I can fake one really well.
• I’m a new mom to a beautiful boy named Jack.
• Someday, I’d like to learn how to cook more than just mashed potatoes and spaghetti.
Lynn Melling joined the Channel 13 News team in July of 2005 to anchor our weekend evening newscasts and report during the week. She now anchors Channel 13 News at 9 on Fox 17. It is central Iowa’s only 9pm newscast, airing on KDSM-TV. She came to Des Moines from KTUU-TV in Anchorage, Alaska.
Prior to Alaska, Lynn was a reporter at WBOC-TV in Salisbury, Maryland. She graduated with degrees in Broadcast Journalism, International Studies and Spanish from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota. While in college, she interned at WCCO-TV, KSTP-TV and WMNN news radio in Minneapolis. She spent her junior year of college studying in Spain and traveling through Europe.
Lynn is quite accomplished, earning a first place SPJ Pacific Northwest Excellence in Journalism award for an investigative series on natural gas development. She’s also won first place awards from the Iowa Broadcast News Association and the Alaska Press Club.
Lynn grew up in rural Minnesota, near the small town of Melrose. Her husband, a full-blooded Alaskan, has fast fallen in love with pheasant hunting. And they’re having fun learning the ropes of parenthood, with their son Jack.
When she’s not working, Lynn loves to run, garden, read a good book and snuggle up with their dog, Paxson.