13 Fascinating Facts About Me:
1. I have been an athlete all of my life. In high school I played volleyball, tennis, and I was on the dance team. I could have played volleyball or tennis at a small college, but I was very career driven and gave them up.
2. Despite growing up in Iowa, my dad was raised in Omaha and I grew up a HUGE Nebraska Cornhuskers fan. GBR!
3. If it weren’t for the cost of school, I would have stayed much longer and obtained a second degree in mathematics and added minors in history and broadcast journalism. Instead, I graduated in 3.5 years, while working 2 jobs throughout my college career.
4. My favorite form of working out is a class called TurboKick which I consider to be a cross between kickboxing and dance. I even made up my own TurboKick routine in my spare time.
5. I am ALWAYS cold. If you were to walk into the news studio on any given day there’s a 75% chance I would be covered in a blanket and still have a jacket on.
6. Despite the cold, I recently discovered my love for snowshoeing in the mountains. I find the adventure of climbing up and down the snow to get to a certain view to be absolutely incredible.
7. I have a wide range in musical taste. I have everything from country and christian contemporary to dubstep and alternative rock as well as much more all within one playlist.
8.I loved swimming so much as a child that I used to have a special breathing technique because I could hold my breath longer than anybody else. My senior year of high school I got bronchitis and have never been able to breath the same again.
9. I had a golden retriever named Jade while growing up. She was my best friend for almost 10 years and the most loyal canine I have ever met. I now have a weakness for any golden retriever that I see.
10. Thanks to help of Pinterest, cooking is now one of my favorite hobbies. I can make a mean pink champagne cupcake, even ask my coworkers.
11. Even in my 20s I still go through weird food phases. In 2015 I ate brown sugar oatmeal with two scoops of crunch peanut butter in it every day for five months.
12. There are a handful of movies I can watch over and over again without ever being tired of them. Bridesmaids, Burlesque, Taken, Red Dawn, Footloose, and Soul Surfer are just a few.
13. I used to dislike beer with all of my being but have developed a taste for it over the past couple years, in fact I am loving all of the breweries that Des Moines has to offer. Any suggestions?
Meteorologist Amber Alexander joined the Channel 13 First Alert Storm Team in December 2015. Before WHO, Amber worked at KNOP in North Platte, Nebraska where she was as a meteorologist and reporter.
Amber earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Meteorology/Climatology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and is a proud Husker. While at Nebraska she served as the secretary of the American Meteorological Society, Activities Director for the Nebraska Storm Chase Team and worked as an intern at the state climate office for two years. Amber first got her on-air experience by broadcasting for UNL’s student run newscast, Star City News. She was also an intern for KETV in Omaha, NE.
Amber has always loved storms, but discovered her new passion for meteorology while simply studying the material in the sixth grade. It was then that she decided she wanted to be a meteorologist.
Since she grew up in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Amber is very happy to be back in Iowa and closer to her family. Although she is not a fan of the cold winters, Amber is excited to be in an area that has all types of weather conditions. However, she is most fascinated by severe weather. During her time at Nebraska she loved to storm chase. She even caught her first tornado in Solomon, KS on her first ever storm chase trip with fellow students in April 2012.
Amber is looking forward to growing in her forecast abilities and providing the best weather report she can for Central Iowa.