13 fascinating facts about Arielle Nixon:
1. My nickname is Moonface because of my extremely round face.
2. I have never colored my hair in my life. I can attribute my blonde locks to a German and Swedish heritage.
3. I love to travel! In total, I have visited 15 countries. My favorite so far is Italy.
4. During the summer of 2011, I used only 1 suitcase to visit 10 countries in 10 weeks.
5. I have experienced an Earthquake measuring 4.0 on the Richter scale.
6. I graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology. My first experience with Iowa was when the Hawkeyes beat my Alma Mater in the 2010 Orange Bowl.
7. I’m a big Georgia Tech football fan. So much so that I was a science tutor for the athletics association while in school.
8. Although my favorite type of weather to forecast is severe weather, I have never seen a tornado in person.
9. I worked with John Bachman’s son while interning at WSB-TV in Atlanta.
10. I’m a terrible speller (thank god for spell check), but a straight A math student.
11. One of my favorite songs is Big Green Tractor by Jason Aldean.
12. My favorite food is birthday cake flavored ice cream. I’ve been known to have a big bowl in the dead of winter.
13. My first weather memory was the 1993 storm of the century. My family didn’t have power for an entire week because of the powerful blizzard.
Meteorologist Arielle Nixon joined Channel 13’s First Alert Storm Team in June 2012 after graduating from the Georgia Institute of Technology with a degree in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. During her time at Georgia Tech Arielle had the opportunity to intern with experienced meteorologists at WSB-TV and WAGA-TV in Atlanta, GA. She also spent a semester volunteering at the National Weather Service office in Peachtree City, GA.
Arielle is a member of the American Meteorological Society. She enjoys the challenge of forecasting severe weather and understands the importance of warning viewers of any dangerous weather situations. Arielle is excited to experience Iowa’s ever-changing weather patterns.
Arielle grew up in Roswell, GA and is excited to see what the Midwest has to offer. She enjoys the outdoors and is looking forward to visiting all of the great parks in Des Moines. She also likes to be creative with crafting and baking.