- Fred Hoiberg had a great news conference. No surprise. As Shawn Terrell said, Hoiberg seems like a guy who will succeed at whatever he does.
- Some of us who remember Fred in high school are shaking our heads that he’s now the head coach at Iowa State. Time flies.
- We had Hoiberg on our radio show. He has a plan. He’s confident. He knows why (some) people doubt him. I can’t imagine anyone with no head coaching experience having a better shot at working out. Fred Hoiberg is not Clyde Drexler.
- Jamie Pollard told us every hire is a roll of the dice. (see Chizik, McDermott) Pollard believes Hoiberg is a safer bet than most. He might be right.
- Pollard sold some season tickets. Cyclone fans haven’t been this excited about the basketball program since Larry Eustachy’s prime.
- Johnny Orr, Jim Hallihan, and Gary Thompson all told me they have zero doubts Hoiberg will succeed.
- Bottom line: The Iowa State basketball program has a much brighter outlook than it did a week ago. It can’t get much worse than fan apathy, bottom of the Big 12, and no Hilton Magic. Fans should be excited.
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.