- It’s good to be back from a “trip” to Florida. As you parents know, with kids, it’s a trip. No kids, and it’s a vacation.
- We went to Daytona Beach. It was more crowded than previous years because so many people had to switch coasts due to the oil. Sad.
- It felt about 110 degrees in Orlando, which made the airport security checkpoint a real stinkfest. Tourists removing shoes in those conditions is just awful.
- I like flying Allegiant Air, but I still can’t get used to the flight attendants working so hard to sell drinks, food, and souvenirs.
- We visited the Kennedy Space Center, and I loved it, as always. I’ve always found space travel and astronauts fascinting, but these days it seems a little like visiting a beeper store.
- Loved seeing Drake Stadium on national TV, but wish there were more people in the seats. I knew attendance was down when Lolo Jones sent a tweet asking for more people to show up and represent. Drake did a great job, just a lot going on in late June.
- Want to see a sellout? The NCAA Wrestling Championships belong in Iowa, and it’s great to learn the tournament is coming in 2013. It won’t be the last time.
- I saw three movies on vacation. Toy Story 3 is fantastic. Hard to live up to the quality of the first two Toy Storys, and 3 may have surpassed them. Michael Keaton steals the show as Ken. Karate Kid is very entertaining. It’s a little hard to see a 12 year old getting beat up, but Jaden Smith does his parents proud, and Jackie Chan shows depth I never knew he had. China is also a star. Too long, but a real crowd-please. Grown Ups was disappointing. I enjoy Adam Sandler movies, but this one isn’t that funny. It’s mindless, sophomoric fun if you need to pass 90 minutes, but I suspect the actors had more fun making Grown Ups than you will watching it.
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.