Flood Warning

GAS EXPLOSION: Waterloo Man Survives

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Waterloo man is lucky to be alive after an explosion at his home late Thursday night.

The Waterloo-Cedar Fall Courier reports the blast was so strong it blew out the back wall of Lester Leigh’s home. A neighbor heard it happened and helped Leigh escape.

Authorities say a natural gas line in the basement wasn’t capped. The gas filled the room and ignited by the pilot light from the hot water heater.

Leigh declined medical attention.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.