EARLY EVACUATION: Ames Apartment Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Residents of an Ames apartment building were evacuated before 6 am Sunday. The University West Apartments on Coconino Road were evacuated as a precaution because firefighters were worried a fire which started on a first floor patio outside the building may have gotten inside the walls.

Michael Mitchell lives in the second floor apartment above the fire. “I looked around and it was really smokey, and I had a firefighter in my face telling me to get out,” he said.  He ran out without his phone, but did grab a sweatshirt. 

Those who left the building were greeted with 35 degree temperatures.  One resident said he was told that firefighters would be letting them back inside.  No word yet on the cause of the fire. No one was injured.