Flood Warning

MORNING FIRE: Residents Part of Battery Initiative

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An early morning fire in West Des Moines Thursday could have been much worse if not for a fire department initiative.

Fire crews were called to 529 9th Street just after 2:30 a.m.

When they arrived they found fire and smoke coming from the back of the house near the furnace area.

The residents of the home were able to get out without injury.

Chief Donald Cox says it took less than ten minutes for firefighters to respond and it took another 15 minutes to put the fire out.

Cox says the fire department was at the home recently, and that visit may have helped the homeowners get out safely. “Interestingly enough, we were here just about two weeks ago canvassing the neighborhood with batteries for the smoke detectors.  So we’re hoping, they had fresh batteries in and that’s what alerted them.”

West Des Moines was one of 25 departments across the country chosen by Energizer for the free battery program.

The damage to the home was mostly contained to the area around the furnace.

The residents are staying with family in the area.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.