CHIMNEY FIRE: Family Home Severely Damaged

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Some birds trying to keep warm this winter have left a Des Moines family out of a home.

Fire crews responded to a fire in the 3300 block of Vilura Parkway Thursday.

Authorities say the homeowner started a fire in her fireplace and later noticed her home was filling with smoke.

Firefighters arrived and were able to extinguish the flames which had spread to the attic. Part of the chimney was removed to find multiple birds’ nests in the space around the flue.

No one was injured. Damages are estimated at around $70,000.

The family is being assisted by neighbors until repairs can be made. 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.