BURN VICTIM: Oxygen Causes Explosion

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


A Des Moines woman is recovering from serious burns while she was smoking a cigarette.

It happened at Ligutti Towers, a downtown apartment building for seniors and people with physical handicaps.

Police say the cigarette ignited the oxygen tubing the woman was wearing causing a flash fire that left the woman with second degree burns to her face.

She is in a burn unit in Iowa City.