SCORES: High School Football Championships

COLLINS FIRE: Two Escape Burning Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Two people living in a Story County home say working smoke detectors helped keep them safe overnight.

At around 2:00 Tuesday morning, the Collins Fire Department was called to put out a fire at 310 First Avenue. Two people living in the home were able to get out safely because the home’s smoke detectors woke them up.

Firefighters think the fire began in the kitchen, but they’re not sure how it started.

Firefighters from Maxwell and Colo were also called in to put out the fire.

The Red Cross is helping the homeowners find a place to stay.