FATAL BEATING: Police Looking For Suspects

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Shortly before 1 AM Sunday morning, officers heard someone had severely beaten a man near Wells Fargo Arena.

42 year old Richard Daughenbaugh was found unconscious with severe head trauma.

He died later at the hospital.

Just one hour before, Armon Diggs and Malik Hawkins say they were with the victim.

“He was giving us a ride to the bridge. We were going to walk to a friend’s house from there,” Diggs told Channel 13 News.

It was the last time they would ever see their neighbor alive.

They described Daughenbaugh as a father figure.

“He was one of those people who helped me. He was sociable. He’d talk to everybody. He’d help you out,” said Diggs.

Hours after first police responded, investigators were still at the scene photographing everything from blood stains to other evidence that may help them figure out who is responsible for the beating.

Sergeant Jason Halifax says it is witnesses, and not necessarily what was left behind that will provide investigators with the best clues.

“Officers were very quickly able to locate a couple different witnesses originally believed to be possible suspects,” said Halifax.

Four people were taken to the Des Moines Police Department for questioning and released.

Police haven’t figured out a motive, but Diggs and Hawkins speculate alcohol may have been involved.

“He might have said the wrong thing and they took it to another level. It shouldn’t have happened like that,” said Diggs.

Family members are holding a candlelight vigil for Daughenbaugh.

It will be tonight at 9 PM on 2nd and Center Street where he was found dead.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.